Yale, B., Patel, R., Nakhjiri, N., & Lam, T. (2021). MALTO GUI: A Better Interface for Trajectory Design , in progress.
Patel, R., Moore, J., Stuart, J., Hernandez, S., & Alper Ramaswamy, B. (2020). I’ll have the Porter: Interactively Visualizing the Results of Statistical Maneuver Analysis, presented on 02/02/2021 at the 31st AAS/AIAA Space Flight Mechanics Virtual Meeting, Charlotte. (AAS 21-334 PREPRINT)
Abdolrahimi, S., Yale, B., Welsher, J., Tzounis, C., Fofrich, J., Cancinos, R., Patel, R., Cabrera, J., Hassel, C. B., Nakhjiri, N., Scott, D., & Johnson, A. (2020). Voyager 3: A Concept Mission to Interstellar Medium, submitted to AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. (PREPRINT available upon request)
Patel, R., Landau, D., & Lam, T. (2020). Solar System Escape Trajectories Using Outer Planetary Gravity Assists, proceedings of AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Virtual Conference, Lake Tahoe. (AAS20-741 PREPRINT)
Yale, B., Patel, R., Cabrera, J., & Nakhjiri, N. (2020). Broad Trajectory Searches Using Monte Carlo Tree Search with the Inclusion of ΔVEGA Trajectories, proceedings of AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Virtual Conference, Lake Tahoe. (AAS20-686 PREPRINT)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Mission Design and Navigation Group (392K) (09/2019 – 12/2019) (06/2020 – 11/2020)
- Assisting with the development of a new maneuver simulation data visualization tool.
- Learning about statistical maneuver design, tour design, and maneuver placement
- Working with JPL’s MONTE and LAMBIC software tools to learn about and create reference trajectories and maneuvers.
GNC/Aeromechanical Group (05/2019 – 08/2019)
- Worked on creating UAV navigation algorithms for efficient flight plan generation
- Involved with concept of operations, multidisciplinary design optimization, and flight performance estimations
Energy Maximizing Outer Planetary Gravity Assists for Solar System Escape
Independent Research Project (01/2020 – 06/2020)
- Worked with Try Lam and Damon Landau of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory to investigate solar system escape trajectories between 2030-2060.
- Developed and added energy maximizing flyby conditions to broad trajectory search data to find fast escape sequences
- Conducted a search and optimized trajectories to several KBO objects using the previously found data (found +10,000 trajectories to 25 KBOs of interest)
- Published in the AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Lake Tahoe (See Publications Section AAS20-741)
Monte Carlo Tree Search for Interplanetary Trajectory Sequence Generation
Capstone Project Team Member (09/2019 – 07/2020)
- Exploring the use of Monte Carlo Tree Search bases heuristics in broad multi-flyby interplanetary trajectory search
- Ran various cases like Galileo and Europa Clipper to validate search results and algorithm performance
- Developed a method to find and implement ΔVEGA orbit leveraging into the broad search using a lookup table solution.
- Published in the AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conference, Lake Tahoe (See Publications Section AAS20-686)
CPP/JPL Mission Analysis – Low Thrust Optimization (MALTO)
On-Campus Researcher (02/2019 – 12/2019)
- Learning Mission Analysis – Low Thrust Optimization (MALTO) and low thrust trajectory design
- Conducting internal testing for the new graphical user interface being developed in MATLAB App Designer
- Creating documentation and tutorial missions for the new GUI release which will be available to CPP students and JPL employees
- Helping with SI sessions and on-campus demonstrations
Mission Design Lead and Systems Engineering (11/2019 – 05/2020)
- Responding to a JPL proposal for an interstellar solar gravitational lensing telescope intended to 550 AU
- Researching and developing possible trajectories to the interstellar medium (ISM) using multi-planetary flybys
- Utilizing JPL’s MALTO and AGI’s Systems Toolkit (STK) to create and verify trajectory and flybys
- Involved in vehicle design, components selection, and systems engineering for the project
Individual Project (03/2019 – 04/2019)
- Used the non-dimensionalized version of the Taylor-Maccoll Equation to find the flow properties behind a supersonic cone with an oblique shockwave.
- Took the T-M PDE and broke it down into 2 ODE’s for use with the Runge-Kutta 4th Order ODE algorithm.
- Analyzed flow properties behind the shock for pressure, temperature, and density until the cone surface.
Individual Project (11/2018 – 12/2018)
- Learned about the Numerical lifting line theory and the Kutta-Joukowski Lift Equation.
- Created MATLAB code takes user input for three different wing geometries and calculates chord wise circulation, downwash, and lift coefficient.
- Analyzed different geometries and how lift and drag vary.
Project Lead (01/2018 – 03/2018)
- Learned about Lambert Transfers and basics regarding the space mission design process
- Created MATLAB code that imports ephemeris data, runs a trajectory search under specified conditions, and generates porkchop plots for launch and arrival data.
- Lead team to successful completion of the project and with even participation. (Highest project grade in all sections of the course)
Aerodynamics Team Lead (10/2018 – 06/2019)
- Managed aerodynamics and flight simulation team
- Taught group members how do basic aerodynamic stability evaluation and to use related programs
- Applied high speed aerodynamics to predict flow properties and pressure coefficients around the vehicle
- Worked on vehicle design (internal and external) and helped with the CAD model of the vehicle
- Placed 1st in the competition sending a 130 lb, 1300 lbf thrust rocket to 23,400 feet at a peak velocity of Mach 1.78 (LAUNCH) (STATIC FIRE) (PICTURES)
Liquid Rocket Lab
Launch Vehicle Aerodynamics (06/2018 – 06/2019)
- Involved in Launch Vehicle Design
- Working on vehicle stability MATLAB code
- Working on 3-DOF MATLAB simulation code
- Using CFD to analyze flow properties and to design fin configurations suitable for flight
- Developed a USAF Missile DATCOM configuration to generate aerodynamic properties of the vehicle and integrated the results in MATLAB.
Aerodynamics Team and CAD Member (10/2017 – 06/2018)
- Learned about the fundamentals of aerodynamics of high powered rockets
- Worked on launch vehicle design, stability, and flight performance
- Hands on work with rocket assembly gaining experience with with composites and 3D printing
- Used Solidworks and Flow Simulation to design parts, assemblies, and do basic CFD analysis of shock-wave formation, pressures, and flow velocities.
Individual Project (ongoing)
- Collection of orbital mechanics related code I have created in undergrad.
- Requires: NAIF SPICE (CSPICE and Spiceypy)
- Uses several community available libraries
- Includes: execution error analysis, porkchop plotting (MATLAB and Python), 2BP, visualization, Launch Vehicle performance, and others.
- Available at: github.com/rohanpatel747/orbitalmechanics_rp
Individual Project (12/2018 – 01/2019)
- Modeled the NASA InSight Mission from Centaur burns to the EDL Phase.
- Learned about the NASA open source program GMAT for trajectory modeling.
- Created MATLAB code that compares launch dates and trajectory conditions
- Used MATLAB to write a simple visualization of the Lambert transfer trajectory.